Wednesday 24 November 2010

Egg Nog


Until last xmas, I had never tried Egg nog- and I have to admit the idea of eggs and cream mixed with alcohol didn't appeal to me much. But I wanted to organise a xmas cooking event for my students and thought if I could eat fish eyes, why not try drink eggs and cream?!
I found this egg nog recipe online and omitted the alcohol. It turned out great: my students were interested and my American friends loved it! Try it!

Ingredients (4-6 people)

4 egg yolks

100g sugar

500ml milk

2 teaspoon all spice ( or cloves if you can find some!)

Pinch of cinnamon

250ml cream

1 teaspoon nutmeg

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

(1) In a large bowl, beat egg yolks until they become lighter in color. Slowly beat in the sugar, whisk until fluffy.

(2) Combine the milk, cinnamon and all spice in a thick-bottomed saucepan. Slowly heat mixture on medium heat until it is steaming hot, but not boiling.

(3) Temper the eggs by slowly adding half of the hot milk mixture into the eggs, whisking constantly while you add the hot mixture. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan.

(4) Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until it begins to thicken slightly and coats the back of the spoon. Do not allow the mixture to boil, or it will curdle. Remove from heat and stir in the cream. Let cool for one hour.

(5) Mix in vanilla extract and nutmeg. Chill in the freezer for 10min.

No comments:

Post a Comment