Wednesday 9 February 2011

5 months in the Great North (Norway)


In August 2010 I joined the university of Tromsø master program in Indigenous studies. I quickly started doubting it was the right program and the right place for me but I decided to give myself at least a semester to try it out.
Tromsø in winter


I didn't cook half as much as in Naruto because ingredients were much more expensive and my kitchen wasn't as nice. I did try to make a few specialities like Fiske kaker (fish cakes in béchamel with curry served with boiled potatoes) and Bolle (sweet bread rolls with cinnamon) with my friends. I can't say I am very fond of Norwegian cuisine though...
I spent the majority of my time at the international café Bodéga, conveniently located between my reading room and the lecture rooms. It became my social hub and favorite place for lunch: a waffle a day keeps the doctor away as someone once said!
Norwegian waffles are lightly perfumed with cardamom and can be eaten with Norwegian brown cheese (which tastes more like caramel than cheese) and wheeped cream. My favorite combination was half with cheese, half with chocolate spread. No wonder I gained 5kilos there!
However, even my love for waffles couldn't keep me in Tromso so I have decided to leave.
Brunost and Waffle

No comments:

Post a Comment