Sunday 20 February 2011

2nd stop: Warsaw



On my first trip to Poland in 2005, I remember eating all sorts of things while not knowing what much of it was made of nor what it was called. Now I have finally learned a few things (!) and I can now say that my favourite polish food is baked pierogi, thanks to Kasia!
I have actually never made them myself so I have been looking for recipes on the internet and will try it next time I have access to a kitchen! I am going to attempt this recipe that I found on the internet.

PIEROGI RECIPE
3 c. all-purpose flour
1 egg
3/4 c. warm water
1 tbsp. butter
1/4 tsp. salt

Work egg into flour with fork. Add salt, warm water, and butter; mix well. Knead until firm and soft. Cover with a slightly damp cloth and let stand for approximately 10 minutes. Roll dough to about 1/8 inch thickness and cut into 3 inch circles. Spoon filling on one side of round and pinch edges firmly to seal. Drop Pierogi into salted (optional) boiling water. When they rise to the top, lower the heat and cook for approximately 8 to 10 minutes. Drop into cold water and drain. Pour a little melted butter on Pierogi to prevent sticking.

FILLING:

8 potatoes
4 tbsp. butter
1 onion, chopped fine
1 c. grated Longhorn cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

Boil potatoes. Saute onions in butter until transparent. Mash potatoes. Add sauteed onions, cheese, salt, and pepper immediately to mashed potatoes and mix well. To serve, saute onions in butter and pour over Pierogi. (If Pierogi are cold, add Pierogi to sauteed onions and heat slowly.) Other fillings to consider are sauerkraut, cottage cheese, prunes or lekvar.

No comments:

Post a Comment